SoPhiE Health and Wellness
JOB TITLE: Executive Director, South Philly East Health and Wellness
REPORTS TO: President of the Board of Directors, SoPhiE Health and Wellness
JOB SCHEDULE: Full-Time
EXEMPTION STATUS: Exempt
South Philly East (“SoPhiE”) Health and Wellness welcomes applications for the position of Executive Director.
The SoPhiE Executive Director will lead all operations of the Hansjorg Wyss Wellness Center: an FQHC-lookalike in South Philadelphia. The Hansjörg Wyss Wellness Center’s mission is to provide the highest-quality whole-body care for immigrants, refugees, and the general South Philadelphia community. The Wyss Center opened in spring 2021 and now provides a platform to deliver full-spectrum primary care, social services, wellness activities, and other community focused programming. The Wyss Center serves patients who are insured and uninsured. The Center is a collaboration between three organizations: SoPhiE, SEAMAAC, and Jefferson Medicine. Jefferson Medicine is a leading provider of refugee health care in the Philadelphia region. SEAMAAC is a nonprofit organization in South Philadelphia, providing social services, education, civic engagement, community development programs for immigrants, refugees, and other marginalized communities. SEAMAAC established SoPhiE in 2021.
The SoPhiE Executive Director oversees the newly-established Hansjörg Wyss Wellness Center’s medical clinic, social services, and community-based programming. The Executive Director leads the Wyss Wellness Center’s program development, operational development, and application to become a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC). The Executive Director is appointed by, and reports to, the SoPhiE Board of Directors. The Executive Director administers, implements and directs all aspects of Wyss Wellness Center programming and facility, in accordance with the policies established by the Board of Directors, funding agencies and applicable state, local and federal laws, regulations and guidelines. The Executive Director leads the Wyss Wellness Center management team, assuring that strong management practices are followed throughout the organization, through appropriate departmentalization and delegation of duties. The Director also coordinates and integrates administrative management with the program and clinical aspects of the center’s work.
The Executive Director presents information to the governing Board as a basis for sound decisions when rendering policy and program directives. The Executive Director develops and maintains effective public relations with the community, other healthcare institutions and providers, civic organizations, and national, state and local groups/governmental entities, advocating for the needs of the underserved.
PRIMARY ACCOUNTABILITES AND RESPONSIBLITES:
• Implements, directs and evaluates the effectiveness of administrative management necessary to carry out Wyss Wellness Center programs as described in the healthcare plan and funding contracts. As needed, develops and facilitates strategies to address issues and challenges.
• Provides organizational leadership and supervision, promoting the organization’s values.
• Informs the Board on matters related to the organization’s operations and policies.
• Develops and formalizes Wyss Wellness Center plans and policy changes in accordance with the governance decision of the Board and requirements of funding agencies.
• Interprets organizational policy and makes administrative decisions, soliciting the input of each department and the Board; makes necessary changes and improvements in the existing administrative procedures and practices.
• Directs the development of standards and methods used to assess the activities of the center with respect to the feasibility, quality, productivity, costs and other aspects of the center.
• Submits and directs the submission of timely and accurate reports and forms to DHHS, state, and others as required.
• Serves as a liaison and channel of communication between the Board, including its committees, management and clinical staff, and the total staff/community.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with other healthcare institutions and providers, national/state/local organizations, government offices, and other community agencies, building collaborations to expand services to the underserved and uninsured.
• Manages and maintains knowledge of current requirements of federal, state and local policies and procedures, as well as those of accreditation.
• Provides leadership in shaping the annual operating plan, programming, and the organization’s long-term strategy. Assesses progress and suggests revisions in strategic direction.
• Directs marketing, promotion, social media, and communications
• Develops, prepares and oversees grant applications, fundraising and capital campaigns.
• Communicates with staff, patients, the press, the general public, civic groups and the Board to solve concerns, answer questions and/or problems and present program and information.
• Supervises, directs and completes performance evaluations for those under the direct supervision of the Executive Director.
• Reviews, approves, and signs all contracts for Wyss Wellness Center.
• Implements an effective system of clinical management and control to ensure that quality healthcare service is being rendered in a cost-effective manner, ensuring that funds, personnel, equipment and supplies are utilized effectively and efficiently in carrying out Wyss Wellness Center policies and plans.
• Formulates and justifies the annual healthcare plan in accordance with limitations prescribed by the Board and funding agencies.
• Directs activities of Chief Medical Officer, and develops policies relating to healthcare.
• Assures proper orientation and training of Chief Medical Officer, assuring the timely preparation and submission of regulatory reports including, JCAHO, UDS, and others as necessary.
• Coordinates and prepares annual grant proposal to BPHC and other funding agencies.
• Assures preparation of analysis and interpretation of healthcare data to the Board.
• With staff, implements an effective system of management and control to ensure that quality healthcare service is being rendered in a cost-effective manner, ensuring that funds, personnel, equipment and supplies are utilized effectively and efficiently in carrying out UNHS policies and plans.
• With staff, formulates and justifies the annual and long-term budget in accordance with limitations prescribed by the Board and funding agencies.
• Assures proper orientation and training of staff, assuring the timely preparation and submission of regulatory reports including, UDS, cost reports, FSR, audit, PMS, PPS, safety net reimbursement, annual report, JCAHO and others as necessary.
• With staff, regularly reviews contracts and negotiates contracts including leases, audit, MCOs, insurance, employee benefits, bank, cleaning, purchasing, capital purchases, and other major contracts.
• Reviews and approves all cash disbursements and purchase orders.
• Submits FQHC application and manages all subsequent action steps, in order to ensure FQHC approval and ongoing compliance.
• Oversees the management of personnel and systems, including policy development, job descriptions, recruitment, hiring, orientation, supervision, evaluation, discharge, benefits, payroll, and staff development.
• Approves all terminations
•Consults with insurance broker, legal counsel, and other consultants as needed.
• Attends in-service and continuing education to maintain elevated level of competency in operation of community health centers.
• Participates in Performance Improvement Program for Wyss Wellness Center.
QUALIFICATION AND ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The Executive Director is required to demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with diverse key stakeholders, excellent communication skills including demonstrated advanced writing skills, excellent public speaking skills, ability to function independently and operate effectively within a complex, high-volume environment, excellent organizational and problem solving skills and superior skills in attending to details, commitment to participate in and contribute to the team effort; must have demonstrated skills and abilities to be able to address highly complex and confidential issues with tact and sensitivity. Required skills include the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with flexible work hours including evenings and weekends as programs, services and Wyss Wellness center calendar necessitates. Must have direct experience working and knowledge of the public and private healthcare systems including continuum of care best practices, and associated insurance reimbursement and funding model.
BIPOC candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Education & Experience:
Advanced degree in public health, social work, psychology, medicine, health administration or related fields from an accredited college or university with a minimum of five years of experience with progressive responsibility in allied health care environment is required. In addition, the incumbent is required to have a minimum of five years of supervisory and/or administrative experience with experience and have working knowledge about the issues facing immigrant, refugee, and BIPOC communities in urban settings.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants must undergo criminal, child abuse and health background checks. SoPhiE Board of Directors will consider all applicants fairly and will review background check results to determine whether they affect the applicant’s suitability for the job.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This description is intended to describe the essential job functions. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and requirements. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Hours: Primarily during business hours. This position may require extensive travel, evening and weekend assignments.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: This position offers health insurance, holiday pay, vacation, sick and personal leave.
SEAMAAC/SoPhiE is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested applicants should submit a resume or CV, detailed cover letter and a writing example to: email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org