SEAMAAC has partnered with the City of Philadelphia, the Share Food Program, and Philabundance to act as a food pantry site for communities in South Philadelphia. We hand out over 600 bags per week to walk up families and individuals through the City’s Food Distribution program. Bags include non-perishable items such as canned goods and bags of rice as well as fresh produce.
Things to Know About Our Food Pantry
- Open Mondays and Tuesdays from 10am-2pm
- ONE bag per household per week
- No ID required
- Stand 6 feet away from others in line
- Bring a cart or large shopping bag for easier carry
- Wear protective gear
Our food pantry welcomes all families in need, and you can come as you are. These times are stressful and scary. Emotions can run high, but we encourage folks to remember we are all in this together. Big thank you to our Hunger Relief team and to the volunteers who have joined us and continue to come out every week.
Elders Grocery Initiative
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, SEAMAAC had to temporarily halt our Roots of Happiness: Elders Health and Wellness Program. The 250+ Asian elders that we serve in our weekly program and ongoing case management are not served by any other agency due to their social and linguistic isolation. This makes SEAMAAC the only point of service available and accessible to them for reliable in-language information, case management, congregant meals and fellowship.
Our Elders represent the demographic with the highest risk for COVID-19 and their limited English proficiency makes them even more vulnerable. In order to help protect their health and safety through the pandemic, we deliver groceries and other crucial supplies to Elders' homes every week.
We deliver to our elders every Friday with volunteers covering multiple turfs throughout Philadelphia. We currently deliver over 75 grocery packages to Elders and highly vulnerable, at-risk community members across Vietnamese, Lao, Chinese, Bhutanese, Chin, Indonesian, Karen, Cambodian, Latinx, African and African American communities.
If you would like to support our efforts and help protect these foundational members of our communities, please consider making a donation. Any amount helps!
In partnership with Philadelphia FIGHT Community Health Centers, SEAMAAC now offers COVID-19 testing at Mifflin Square Park.
Important Things to Know:
- Mifflin Square Park is located at 500 Wolf Street
- Covid-19 testing is available every Wednesday from 11am-1pm.
- Tests are FREE and walk-ups are accepted. No ID, referral, appointment, or insurance is required.
- Testing is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Each week 150 PCR tests and 60 rapid tests are available. To find additional testing sites, please click here.
- Results from PCR tests will be delivered by phone or email within one week.
We offer language assistance for limited English proficient community members during their test and a translated copy of their results. Currently, we have in-person interpretation support in Spanish, Indonesian and Vietnamese, and over-the-phone interpretation for Mandarin and Nepali. We are looking to expand our language services to include Khmer, Lao and Karen. If you speak one or more of those languages and are interested in volunteering, please contact Dominic at [email protected] or sign up here.
It is through love, compassion and community action that we will get through this together. Now more than ever, SEAMAAC is in need of folks willing to help out. Your work can help us make a greater impact in reaching and supporting marginalized communities.
Mobilizing Hunger Relief
We need volunteers for the following shifts:
- COVID-19 Testing Site: Thursday from 10:30am to 1pm at Mifflin Square Park (600 Wolf Street).
- Food Distribution: Mondays and Tuesdays from 9:30am to 12pm at 1711 S. Broad Street.
- Elders' Deliveries: Fridays from 10am to 1pm or 1pm to 4pm at 1711 S. Broad Street for packing and delivering.
Bilingual Community Outreach
- Do you speak Vietnamese, Chinese, Lao, Nepali, Bhutanese, Khmer, Chin or Karen? Volunteer to help with outreach!
- Are you a food corporation or small business looking to pitch in? Connect with us on food donations, supplies or other services you are willing to donate that may be helpful.
Sign up here to join our team of volunteers.