Website SEAMAAC, Inc.
JOB TITLE: Civic Engagement Canvasser
DEPARTMENT: Health and Social Services
REPORTS TO: Civic Engagement Field Coordinator
JOB SCHEDULE: Part-Time (Seasonal Position)
EXEMPTION STATUS: Non-Exempt
SEAMAAC welcomes applications for a Civic Engagement Canvasser.
SEAMAAC is a nonprofit organization in Philadelphia, with the mission “To support and serve immigrants
and refugees and other politically, socially and economically marginalized communities as they seek to
advance the condition of their lives in the United States.” SEAMAAC envisions a strong and unified
society, where immigrants and refugees work alongside other Americans to build shared political, economic
and social power.
The Civic Engagement Canvasser will engage in nonpartisan voter registration, community education, getout-the-vote (GOTV), and voter protection activities leading up to the November 2022 Pennsylvania
General Election. Essential responsibilities include:
• Voter registration: Supporting eligible adults with voter registration information and resources
• Community education: Sharing non-partisan information about the voting process and voting rights
• Canvassing: GOTV door knocking to households, primarily in South Philadelphia
• Phone banking: Calling community members to GOTV
• Text Banking: Texting community members to GOTV
• Voter Protection: Conducting poll monitoring and support at South Philadelphia polling places on
• Passion for civic engagement work is required
• Fluency in an Asian language is highly desirable, including but not limited to Mandarin,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Nepali, Khmer, Lao, Indonesian, and others.
• Strong verbal communication skills are required
• Demonstrated ability to work well with diverse staff and community members is required
• Understanding of and commitment to SEAMAAC’s principles, concerns, and considerations in
regard to issues of race, class, nationality, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, and disabilities
• Experience working with immigrants is preferred
• Excellent digital literacy skills are required
• High school diploma is required; college degree is preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee regularly is required to sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 5 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly expected to be on their feet and/or walking.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While canvassing in the neighborhood, there is a potential for interacting with unpredictable community members and inclement weather. The Canvasser will adhere to all public health guidelines and organizational policies regarding COVID-19.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Applicants must undergo background checks. SEAMAAC will consider all applicants fairly and will review background check results to determine whether they affect the applicant’s suitability for the job. A job offer is contingent upon being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and providing proof of vaccination before start date.
This description is intended to describe the essential job functions. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and requirements. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.
Salary and Benefits:
Hours: This position ranges from 10-30 hours/week, per the Canvasser’s availability. Must be flexible to
work some evenings and weekends. This is a temporary position from August-November 2022.
Salary: Hourly rate: $17-$19/hour commensurate with experience.
Benefits: This position offers sick leave on an accrual rate, as well as paid holidays.
SEAMAAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested applicants should submit a resume to [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com