JOB TITLE: Vietnamese Outreach Worker
DEPARTMENT: Health & Social Services (H&SS) Department
REPORTS TO: Community & Family Wellness Coordinator
JOB SCHEDULE: Part-time or Full-Time
EXEMPTION STATUS: Non-Exempt
SEAMAAC welcomes applications for the position of Vietnamese Outreach Worker. SEAMAAC is a nonprofit organization in Philadelphia, with the mission “To support and serve immigrants and refugees and other politically, socially and economically marginalized communities as they seek to advance the condition of their lives in the United States.” SEAMAAC envisions a strong and unified society, where immigrants and refugees work alongside other Americans to build shared political, economic and social power. We envision a community where the contributions of each generation of Americans, whether Native to this land, immigrant, or brought against their will, are equally acknowledged, valued and embraced, and where all people live whole, healthy lives with joy and dignity.
The Vietnamese Outreach Worker’s primary responsibilities are to provide community outreach about programs and services, group education, interpretation/translation, and case management support with individuals and families in Philadelphia’s Vietnamese immigrant/ refugee communities. This position focuses on SEAMAAC’s Elders Program, COVID-19 relief services & vaccination access, and case management including employment, voter registration, naturalization, domestic violence, public benefits, health insurance, health access, and referrals. During COVID-19, all job duties are subject to change, and there is a possibility that some/all work will be done remotely.
• Bachelor’s degree is preferred. Minimum of a high school education if combined with extensive social service experience working in Vietnamese immigrant/refugee communities.
• Spoken fluency in English and Vietnamese is required; written translation skills are preferred.
• Minimum 1 year of social service experience is required (may be a year of volunteer work).
• Additional language skills such as Lao, Khmer, or Mandarin are desirable but not required.
• Experience working with community health and/or social services. Passion for supporting families with issues such as civic engagement, employment, education, domestic violence, and health care access preferred.
• Experience with, and connections to, Vietnamese communities in Philadelphia
• Computer skills including online databases, Outlook, Excel, Word, and other platforms
• Skills in discussing sensitive topics with individuals and small groups
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Emotional intelligence and skills in responding to high stress situations
• Ability to work with diverse staff and community members
• Understanding and sensitivity to issues of race, class, nationality, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, and disability
• Ability to handle a heavy workload, maintain confidentiality, and use sound judgment
• Ability to work independently and in groups
• Ability to accurately represent SEAMAAC in Philadelphia’s Vietnamese communities
• Conduct outreach to the Vietnamese community, to increase awareness of SEAMAAC’s programs and resources. Examples: interpreting/translating information, distributing flyers, posting on social media, making phone calls, and attending community events
• Plan and facilitate community events (virtual and/or in-person)
• Provide case management services for individual clients
• Connect clients to resources such as legal aid, ESL, housing, school supports, and other needs
• Complete data entry, client intake, and case notes
• Attend supervision meetings, staff meetings and staff trainings
• Actively participate in organization-wide events, a minimum of 5 events per calendar year.
• Provide translation/interpretation
• Other duties may be assigned from time to time
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. During COVID-19, all job duties are subject to change, and there is a possibility that some/all work will be done remotely.
Necessary Special Requirements: Applicants must undergo criminal, child abuse and health background checks. SEAMAAC will consider all applicants fairly and will review background check results to determine whether they affect the applicant’s suitability for the job.
This description is intended to describe the essential job functions. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and requirements. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.
Salary and Benefits:
Hours: Approximately 20-24 hours/week if working remotely. Up to 40 hours/week are available if working in-person or hybrid. Hours are primarily during regular business hours, with occasional evenings or weekend assignments.
Salary: $16-$18/hour, depending on qualifications and experience
Benefits: A part-time position offers paid sick leave and holidays. A full-time position includes paid sick leave, holiday pay, health insurance, paid vacation, and other benefits.
SEAMAAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com